Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Another Visit at CHOC

Today was another wonderful day at CHOC.  I was able to take some pictures this time. :) Those kids are amazing and such an inspiration to me.  Normally when I play at CHOC, it's in the playrooms, but today I got to do it a little differently.  I got to go up to the sixth floor and play for the kids at their bedside.

Samantha was one of the kids I played for today and she was a sweetheart.  She was non-verbal and incoherent, but I could just tell how sweet she was.  As I played for her, I watched her heart meter and she remained calm and peaceful.  After every song was over, however, she got a little agitated and wanted to re-situate herself.  The nurse in the room told me that by watching her body language, that she knew that Samantha loved the music.  I was told before I walked into Samantha's room, that she LOVED music.  I couldn't stop watching Samantha as I played, and couldn't help but smile at her sweet face.  I love being at CHOC.
Another boy I met was named Augustine and although he couldn't show it with his weak body, the nurses and I could tell that he was excited to hear some music!  Augustine was non-verbal and immobile as well, but the nurses knew that he enjoyed the music I played for him.  The nurses told me that he shows his excitement by rolling his eyes a lot, which he did a lot today!  Augustine's mother was there too and she wants me to come back every two weeks when her son comes in for treatment and I definitely accepted that offer!  Augustine was such a sweetheart and I look forward to seeing him again!

Days like this remind me why my platform is what it is.  I could go on and on with many other experiences I have had with the young and old generations, but today illustrates a taste of it all.  If I become Miss California in June, I will make it my mission to visit as many hospitals (for children, adults, and Veterans) as possible during my year.  I have been asked in the past how I would do this service with such a big instrument and all, and I have all situated.  Normally therapeutic harpists use small harps just for ease of transportation throughout the hospital floors.  I currently do not have a small harp (the only small harp I have is toy-sized LOL) but as I travel the state, attaining a harp would not be a hard task at all.  The harp sister/brotherhood is very tight.  For example, when I competed at Sweetheart in Illinois, I found a harpist in Chicago that lent me his harp! Amazing life-saver!  However, having the state title this year would give me the perfect excuse to invest in a small harp anyway, so worries!

I feel so blessed to not only just visit the kids, but that I get to share my talent with them and help them feel better as they endure treatment.  I know God has given me this talent for two reasons: 1. to make money with it, and 2. (most importantly) to serve people with it.

Some favorite quotes of mine:
Music brings the sense of identity to people that are out of it.  Music brings those people back INTO it!

And thanks to my co-ED Melissa Mattingly, 
“Music can lift us out of depression or move us to tears - it is a remedy, a tonic, orange juice for the ear. But for many of my neurological patients, music is even more - it can provide access, even when no medication can, to movement, to speech, to life. For them, music is not a luxury, but a necessity.” ― Oliver Sacks

You can look at the other past CHOC visits that I actually recorded HERE and HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment